Saturday, February 28, 2009

Instructional Strategies for Science

Tell me about some new or old instructional strategies that you've tried for teaching science. For instance this past week I've implemented the use of concept mapping for our inside the earth unit to help students categorize important vocabulary. By looking at their concept maps, I could easily see if they were successful and comfortable with the terms, or still needed additional lessons or help. I could also see if the students successful branched out with their terms to include additional concepts.

Please add your thoughts by our next class on March 14th.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was teaching a unit on water, they had learned about the limited fresh water supply and the scarcity of water in some places. Then I went for some deeper thinking and application, and gave them a simulation where each group was on an island with two cities and had to supply each city with a certain number of gallons of water per day. It was a great experience and I think it really helped them to see in practice what they had learned and live it out on their little island.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bradley, your idea linked your unit on water to a real life application as fresh, clean water is becoming more scarce. I would imagine that the students really enjoyed this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The subjects I am responsible for at my school are reading and writing, so I haven't tried any strategies for teaching a science class. If I taught this class one thing I might attempt to try would be giving a group of children a specific task so they can be experts. Then the kids would be responsible for teaching their peers and give them the role as the educator. This would be done in hopes to get the kids engaged in what they are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently trying the technique of students discovery information themselves to research their assigned ecosystem using books and the internet. Each science class I explain a topic area, then they are responsible to learn about how that topic pertains to their ecosystem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't teach science, but in social studies the instructional strategy that I use the most often is role-playing or re-enacting different historical events. My students are very active and not at all shy, so they love doing it. We've done the Boston Tea Party on our school playground, various Revolutionary War battles and this coming week we're traveling the Oregon Trail! The acting also seems to really strengthen their memories of the details of events.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't teach science, but in my Social Studies classes I often use picture books to introduce a unit, or as a jumping off point for discussion. The kids seem to love to listen to the stories. I also play a lot of games to help my kids learn important vocabulary. My 7th grade classes especially like to play SWAT and Concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tried to start class presenting a big idea by showing them a lab. An example of this was when I took a pencil and made it float in water. I asked if any of the students knew why this was happening when I added salt to the water. We then looked through our science lesson to find the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In using the Foss kit on Models and Designs, I was able to really practice helping the students practice thinking processes in conducting investigations and building explanations. I have really appreciated the way the course builds helps me to work with the students how to explore questions and hypothesis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. During the third quarter I began using formative assessments more often. Typically, I use an exit card, which usually is one question on a notecard.

    ReplyDelete